As I started taking interest in photography, I came in contact with professionals who I can learn a bit from. While doing this, I was recently introduced to Stories of Autism.
Stories of Autism is a non-profit organization profit organization dedicated to promoting the awareness, acceptance, and inclusion of those with autism spectrum disorders. Stories of Autism achieves this through the exhibition of portraits created by professional level photographers from around the US and Canada. Portrait is accompanied by a short writing from someone close to the subject (usually a parent) describing how autism has affected their lives. It has been featured in many photography trade magazines, websites, newspaper and television coverage, as well as some articles in a few medical journals.
After learning about them a bit more, I decided to join the annual event that coincides with National Autism Awareness Month.
I plan to be one of many photographers who will capture amazing moments of these special people and raise awareness to autism.
This is where I need your help. Here’s what you can do to help:
- If you know someone with autism who is in Downingtown, PA (or within 25 mile radius), please let me know and I can get in touch with them.
- Spread the word. This one is easy. Just use #autismawareness and @bhargavs in your tweets alongwith URL http://bit.ly/storiesofautism, put this on your Facebook or linked in, tell others when you meet then in person. Anything you can do will help me.
- Donate! This is the first time ever that I have asked someone to donate through my site. It’s because it isn’t for me. Every dollar you donate will be matched 1:1 and will be donated to “Mission for Educating Citizens with Autism”. There is no minimum. Any amount you wish to donate makes a difference.
You might have the most important question, what’s in it for participants?
- They will receive free 30 minute portrait session (only autistic subject, no family portraits)
- They will receive single 8×10 portrait print of their choice from the session
- Best of all, they will help a good cause
Pardon this out of ordinary post, I know this isn’t what you may have expected on a technical blog. I am sure you understand and I certainly hope I will get your generous support for this worthy cause.
Some important disclaimers:
- I am not affiliated with any organizations listed above and will not benefit monetarily by posting this or helping them with portraits or donations
- I will not profit from any donations received through the link posted here. For accuracy, please do not send any donations directly (bypassing posted link here).